Whether you are going to be travelling this holiday season, you are having guests stay in your home, or you are just visiting your parents for Thanksgiving dinner, bed bugs pose an enormous threat this winter. While these pests aren’t typically found in other regions, the east – and Pennsylvania in particular – have the perfect climate for bed bugs to thrive. Learn more about how to avoid bed bugs, but if you develop a problem, call our expert pest control in Pittsburgh!
- If you are traveling, remember that you should never assume that you are safe from bed bugs. This means that they are just as likely to turn up in a hotel as they are at your parent’s house.
- Because bed bugs could be anywhere, it is important to check your bed for signs of the pests. These signs include: black residue or streaks, light or dark brown stains, insect casings (these will most likely be rust-colored), and any bugs themselves.
- Bed bugs aren’t confined to beds. They can live in couches, chairs, baseboards, walls, and any other place where they can come in contact with humans. Check for the signs listed above in all of these areas.
- Because bed bugs aren’t confined to beds, they could be in the hotel, the plane, the taxi, or in the movie theater down the block. It is important to frequently check your home for any signs of bed bugs, especially if you’ve been traveling or going out frequently.
- You will most likely not notice if a bed bug is feeding on you. Because their bites contain an anesthetic and they are tiny insects, you can’t expect to feel them. You must be proactive about finding them if you want to avoid an infestation.
- All an infestation takes is a single batch of eggs. Because they don’t require a mother to hatch, eggs can easily be snuck into your luggage and clothing without you knowing.
- When you get home from traveling for the holidays, wash all of your bedding and clothing in extra hot water. Doing this will kill all bed bugs, in any stage.
- Bed bugs don’t care about the cleanliness of your home. This means that they can appear in the cleanest homes as well as the dirtiest.
Unfortunately, bed bugs are becoming a real issue for Pennsylvania, especially in Philadelphia, where so many people are coming and going constantly. Bed bugs find it easy to travel and multiply, but you don’t have to let them. By paying attention to the signs of bed bugs and calling your local pest control company immediately, you can stop an infestation before it starts. At Eliminator Termite & Pest Control, we are passionate about doing our job well so that you can have the peace of mind you need to sleep well at night, and not let the bed bugs bite.
Contact us to find out why our services have become Top Rated Local® in Pittsburgh for pest control, and get your free quote today!